“This Anglo-German duo build bridges between the countries with their own beautifully written songs and folk favourites.”
“I’ve never seen our audience so spellbound!” (Malc Gurnham, Bedworth Folk Club)
So, what is it that makes this internationally touring Anglo-German duo so irresistible?
Whilst Paul Walker & Karen Pfeiffer are acclaimed for their image provoking songwriting, expressive vocals and authentic musicianship, they are frequently recalled for their warmth, humour and their remarkable ability to engage with their audience. Karen’s natural theatricality and life affirming playful energy compliments charmingly with Paul’s calm geniality and combined they magically turn a great performance into a real event.
“With two grand voices – individually and in harmony” (Folker-German Folk Magazine), Paul & Karen offer a versatile miscellany of self-penned and imaginatively arranged songs, delivered with guitar, woodwind instrumentation and occasional percussion.
The duo has toured its shows extensively taking in New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Ireland and most corners of the UK, wooing audiences with Karen’s southern German accent tinged with an ‘oatcake induced’ North Staffordshire dialect from Paul’s heritage.
Poised to record a new album in Germany just when the pandemic halted things, their only UK live appearance since was at the iconic Beardy Folk Festival. Accordingly, the past year has seen them focusing their attention on writing, home recording and most importantly, developing their online presence. Their weekly live stream ‘Afternoon Tea with Paul & Karen’ is now in excess of 70 shows and attracts a dedicated international following.
The Anglo-German duo Paul Walker & Karen Pfeiffer hails from Staffordshire, although Karen is originally from Stuttgart, Germany, where Paul ‘discovered’ her busking in a city centre park. He invited her to perform in England and the two of them have now been playing music together since 2012. In the last five years they have spread their wings very successfully into the British and European folk and festival scene and perform now mainly in Theatres, Village Halls, Folk Clubs and of course at Festivals throughout the UK. In addition they tour annually in southern Ireland and Germany - and in 2019 they embarked on their first tour of New Zealand and Western Australia.
Together with their own beautifully written songs which have begun to gain well-deserved attention, they present unique interpretations of classics from folk icons such as Richard Thompson, Dougie MacLean, Jimmy MacCarthy or John Spillane. Altogether, “songs with groove and goosebumps guaranteed”, as the Stuttgart press put it recently.
Their albums ‘One by One’ (2013), ‘Marble Town’ (2015) and ‘The Whole Charade’ (2018) have received glowing reviews in folk and music industry magazines (e.g. Acoustic Magazine, Folk North West, The Living Tradition, Stirrings Magazine, Folker, Folk Monthly). Especially the latest album ‘The Whole Charade’ as well as their latest single releases have also been enjoying considerable airplay in Europe, the U.S and Australia.
The Press about Paul Walker & Karen Pfeiffer
- “...precious pearls in the music scene.” Bietigheimer Zeitung (German newspaper)
- “It seems that there is nothing that this duo cannot bring into fruition with their own unique style and passion.” Secret Sounds (website)
- “An Englishman and a German prove impressively how much fine music flies under the well-informed radar. With two grand voices - individually and in harmony..." Folker (German Folk Magazine
- “Great Show!” (Graham Norton)
- 'Each song beautifully sung and interpreted and great personal chemistry between you.' Tim - Gatehouse Theatre, Stafford, UK
- 'What a fantastic night at Broughton Village Hall.' Ian - Wetwood, UK
- 'Loved the way your voices blend you make a great Sound.' Nigel - Willenhall Folk Club, UK
- 'A wonderful experience. Music to make you feel happy, music to make you reflect, you can't help but enjoy their wonderful on-stage magical, musical chemistry.' Chris Irving, Birmingham, UK
- 'Having had a fantastically entertaining night, listened to some astonishingly beautiful music and good sing-along on the way, I will be watching out for more from Paul and Karen.' Lisa, Stone, UK
- Karen has a voice like Symtex in Syrup, so sweet and yet so explosive! Neil, Burton-on-Trent
- Thank you sooo much for this wunderful evening with you in Markgröningen, yesterday evening! You were just great!! And I am again and again surprised how you both intensify your voices and your act in combination! And especially this makes me feeling a wunderful flowing from heart to heart. Thank you Karen & Paul Iris - Markgröningen, Germany
- I could listen to you over again. Fantastic voices, lovely songs. You managed to tell a story through every song whether it was your own or not. Aileen Lang - Hales Club, UK
- What a treat of an evening! Philippa and Keith, Market Drayton, UK
- …We LOVED your singing - what a great night! Karen you sang the most beautiful version of Christy Moore's song - Ride On… We can't wait to hear it again. Looking forward to seeing you both again in Ahakista next year. Fiona and Mark – Ahakista, Ireland
- Thank you so much for your live performance. Now I'm back in Brittany and listening to your CD reminds me of the good time we had with the Rara Avis and the White Dolphin french crews… Julien - Brittany, France